Our man chose option number one, which thankfully spared the frame from damage. The ejector rod slot in the Python barrel was "dremeled" for clearance and since the Python also has no provsion for a forward bolt, he also bodged up a crane "lock ball" installation. The revolver was out of time due to three of the ratchets being cut away during the chamfering of the chambers and the entire lockwork was "tuned" beyond salvaging. The salvage operation consisted of reinstalling the Ruger barrel after shortening it to three and a half inches and recrowning, fitting a trigger, cylinder stop, hand, hammer, cylinder, ratchet, ejector rod and crane from the parts bin and a bit of custom work which will be detailed in the photos to follow.
First, the bodgery,
The salvage operation:
Since Rugers come from the factory looking like badly buffed re-blues, some straightening out of the contours was in order. This was done after shortening the original barrel and the OEM waviness is quite evident in the photos.
The owner had supplied an aftermarket front sight base to use but I thought that a more aesthetically pleasing alternative could be made. That ended up being a full-length rib that would accept the interchangeable front sight blades. I made the rib and machined the barrel to accept it and then tinned it in place.
With the barrel installed, the replacement crane could be fit and aligned. The outside contours didn't quite mate as-is.
With the barrel, crane and cylinder fitted up and the grip-frame converted to round-butt configuration, it was starting to come together. Also note the SAA-style beveling of the front of the replacement cylinder.
The original Ruger hammer spur was letting the looks down a bit. After batting it around with the client, a spur mimicking that of the Colt Python was decided upon. I cut off the original, added material to the hammer and then shaped and checkered it. The result is much more pleasing. The right side recoil shield was also dished to match the left side.
With all of the damage corrected, the exterior contours trued up, the replacement parts properly fitted up, the action tuned and myriad other custom touches, the revolver was finally ready for finishing. That finish would be a slow rust blue, as befits any custom firearm worthy of the title. The finished job is below. Note, no buffing wheels were harmed (or used) in the making of this blog entry.
The same client's other Security-Six can be seen here: http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2017/06/another-modern-revolver.html