Due to the small amount that the stock was shortened, combined with the width of the spur of the original buttplate, the resulting spur inletting necessarily had to be a bit larger than the spur that is supplied on the Silver's pad. This was corrected by building up the spur with epoxy. Since the pad was being covered, I didn't bother dying the epoxy. At this point, the pad has been fit and its periphery reduced by the thickness of the hide.
Here is the pad, covered. The leather is still "in the white", meaning that it has not yet been dyed. The wood appears much darker than it really is, due to the lighting and camera setting.
This shot more accurately shows the color of the wood.
Here is the finished job. I also made, engraved and finished a new breechscrew because the original did not index properly when tight.
These photos illustrate the curvature of the heel that I mentioned earlier. The repro buttplate is a stamping (the originals are a machined forging) and the exposed checkered portion of the wood is a separate piece, glued on.
Post a Comment