The customer wanted a Python-esque hammer spur for his Ruger Super Redhawk. This was a bit more involved than simply welding a new piece to the existing hammer. In order to capture the look of the Python hammer, a good portion of the upper half of the existing hammer would have had to be welded up in order to have enough material with which to work. I did not want to do that much welding on the part for a couple of reasons, namely that the original hammer is a casting and I didn't want any casting porosity spoiling the looks of the finished part. The second reason is that, due to the hammer's height and speed, it's carrying quite a bit of inertia, and the last thing I'd want is for the hammer to stop while the spur keeps going. The obvious answer is to simply make a new hammer from scratch, in the configuration needed.
The photos below detail that process.
The original hammer and the blank that contains the new part. I simply remove everything that isn't the new hammer.
From this point, it's all hand work. Reaming the pivot pin holes, shaping and checkering the spur, fitting the DA sear and timing the DA hand-off, and preliminary setting of the SA sear angle are all done at this stage. Heat treatment and final polishing, followed by final fitting of the SA pull are next.
The finished job
As the customer for this project, I couldn't be happier with the quality of the work done! This is a work of art!ReplyDelete
This is phenomenal, what an incredible piece!ReplyDelete